about

MB436 was commissioned by the Admiralty to J. W. Brooke & Co, Ltd., Oulton Broad, Norfolk . The order was placed on 27 January 1915 under Admiralty order CP75332/14 which covered a number of similar craft:


Admiralty order CP75332/14

MB435 completed 7 June 1915 went to Belfast to HMS Sir Thomas Picton. In 1919 moved to HMS Triad. In 1934 she was in Shoreham. Later condemned in Bombay in 1935. 

MB437 completed 8 August 1915 to HMS Davenport. In 1917 to Calliope to serve as ‘Commodore’s Barge. Condemned Rosyth dockyard 1919.

MB438 completed October 1915 to HMS Cambrian. In 1937 transferred to HMS Colombo. 19 to HMS Enterprise. Broken up in 1946

MB450 completed 5 November 1915 to HMS Intrepid. Transferred to HMS Ceres in 1919. Lost at Sea in 1942 (Maybe in Action)

At Brooke & Co the Build reference was number 80, and was boat number 436, hence MB436



MB436 was despatched on 10 August 1915 to

HMS Calliope to serve as a fast motor launch. Later

the same year she was  transferred over to
HMS Royalist when Capt. Mead transferred
​command from Calliope to Royalist in August 2015

HMS Royalist was an Arethusa class light cruiser

that fought at the battle of Jutland. In March 1915

she joined the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron of the

Grand Fleet. It was in that role that she took part

in the battle of Jutland, forming part of the screen

that protected the battle squadrons as they

steamed south towards the battle. She then took

part in the destroyer fight at 7.15-7.30 pm (31 May),

as her squadron was the only Light Cruiser

Squadron to have kept in her battle position.


Later on she launched a torpedo at German capital ships, identified as either the pre-dreadnaught battleships or the battlecruisers. 


In August 1916 Admiral Jellicoe was absent from the Grand Fleet, recovering from an illness in southern Scotland. The Royalist was the cruiser chosen to wait for him at Dundee, in case the German fleet came out. On 18 August the Germans did indeed make a sortie, and the Grand Fleet put to sea without Jellicoe. He made his way to the Royalist, and was taken to the Iron Duke, to take over command of the fleet. On transferring over from the Royalist to Iron Duke we believe Jellicoe may have used MB436, however its pretty difficult to prove! 































In February 1917 HMS Royalist converted to carry 74 mines and joined the 1st Light Cruiser Squadron. She was the most prolific minelayer of her class, laying 1,183 mines in 16 trips. Late in the war HMS Royalist was significantly modified, gaining twin 3in anti-aircraft guns, a kite balloon and having her two rear 4in guns replaced with one 6in gun. 


HMS Royalist spent four months in the Baltic (January-April 1919), then spend the rest of the year with the 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron at Harwich. In January 1920 she joined the Portsmouth Reserve. 


Class and type: Arethusa class light cruiser

Name: HMS Royalist

Builder: William Beardmore and Company

Laid down: 3 June 1913 Launched: 14 January 1915

Commissioned: March 1915

Fate: Sold for scrapping 24 August 1922

General characteristics

Displacement: 3,500 tons

Length: 436 ft (133 m)

OverallBeam: 39 ft (12 m)

Draught: 13.5 ft (4.1 m)

Propulsion: Parsons turbines

Eight Yarrow boilers40,000

hpSpeed: 28.5 knots (53 km/h)

Range: carried 482 tons (810 tons maximum) of fuel oil

Complement: 318Armament: 3 × BL 6-inch (152.4 mm)

Mk XII guns4 × QF 4-inch (101.6 mm)

Mk V guns2 × 3 inch guns8 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes

Armour: 3 inch side (amidships)2¼-1½ inch side (bows)2½ - 2 inch side (stern)1 inch upper decks (amidships)1 inch deck over rudder

6 inch conning tower


Captain: Captain Meade


In 1922 HMS Royalist was broken up for scrap. MB436 is all that remains.


Facts and figuresATTA BOY (MB436)

Length 30 ftBeam 6ft 3 inches

Depth 2 feet 5 inches

Weight 2.8 tons

EngineMarinised 3.5 Litre Rover V8. 

134 BHP and 5000rpm. 

Torque 187 lbs per ft at 2500rpm

Probably capable of 30 knots. Plus a bit!


Previous Owners

Decommissioned in 1919 and moved to the Rosyth dockyard. Sold into private ownership in 1923.

1923 Mr Harold Edenborough, Chelsea

1925 Mr S H Delves, Norwich, named ATTA BOY

1930 Mr H L Curl, Norwich. At this stage the name was changed to ‘SOLACE’

1934 Mr C J Broom, Brundall.

1934 Mr A B Dobbs, Mayfair.

1955 C J Broom & Son, Brundall

1989 Mr P Corbett, London

2009 Mr C Ashton,  Re-named ATTA BOY